Here we go!

Over the past few years we (my family and I) have entered an exciting, sometimes frightening, and ever unfolding world. It is the world of book making. It seems unbelievable that I am now a published author, several times over. Even more unreal is the fact that we are now publishers of a growing number of books.

This blog will both document our progress and also give its readers some insight into my personal thoughts and musings.

Hope you find it interesting and somehow rewarding!

Here we go!

Friday, December 17, 2010

Challenges

These last few weeks have been somewhat of a blur.  As I opened up this blog to write another post, I was amazed to discover that more than a month has passed since my last post. I also was surprised to realize that I had started a previous entry while in Korea and had never completed that effort.   It doesn't seem possible that it has been so long since I last sat down to share.

There is no way to recount or adequately convey all that recent travels have brought into my life.  New friends and faces, old relationships renewed, places visited, foods I haven't even imagined existed, are now a part of my collective life story.  New horizons and new challenges are also a part of my newly revised view of life.

I have now had the opportunity to watch videos of children in Africa listening to and responding to words that came from my heart.  That is an incredible life experience.  I have shared with students and adults in Asia and watched as they were drawn into Dorothy's tale.  How exciting was that?! 

We are now contemplating new story lines, additional markets, and a much wider scope of opportunity.  All of this also brings new and more complex challenges to a plate that in many ways already seemed full.  I wonder if I am up to the tasks ahead. 

I have been drawn back to the life story of Joshua - God's statesmen, general - who had the unenviable task of following Moses as the leader of God's people.  Joshua was thrown into that position in part because he had been one of only two individuals (along with Caleb) to have had the courage to suggest that the "promised land" as within Israel's grasp. Yet the message God had for Joshua was "be strong and courageous, do not be terrified for I am with you".  Out of all the individuals whose exploits are recorded for us, Joshua seems to be one of the least likely to have needed this message.  Still, it is to him that God spoke these words.

One truth I take from this glimpse into Joshua's life experience is that we all struggle with how to deal with the challenges that God given opportunity brings into our lives.  If my life is without challenge then I most certainly am not where God wants me to be.  The fact that I am facing a myriad of challenges does not ensure that I am where I am supposed to be, but their absence would provide absolute evidence that I need to find my way back to His path for my life. 

A second insight comes as I read the account of Joshua's early morning encounter with the "captain of the Lord's army".  Joshua was all about doing what I would be doing, when faced with obstacles and challenges.  He was developing a plan.  In truth, he was seeking God's guidance in developing this plan, but he saw it as "Joshua's plan" for Israel, that needed God's blessing.  This "captain of the Lord's army"  quietly but firmly reminded Joshua that He was not on Joshua (or Israel's) side.  In fact when Joshua asked him "whose side are you on"?  the response was a shocker.  This commander whose alliance Joshua sought was not interested in taking the side of Joshua.  He had His own plan, agenda or "side".  Joshua needed to be on the Lord's side, and not be so consumed with gaining God's favor for his plans.

The challenges of life that I encounter because I am following God's plan for my life will be met and conquered because, it is His plan.  He utilizes His insight and resources to accomplish His purposes.  If I become convinced of this reality, then courage in the face of challenges, obviously larger than than my reservoir of resource, can be my experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment